As we announced in our News and Views newsletter, Redwood Christian Schools has been awarded with the maximum dual accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
On May 24, 2012, the Regional Accreditation Commission of ACSI for Northern California-Hawaii Region met and unanimously voted to grant RCS the maximum six-year term of accreditation. The school was notified in June that WASC granted dual accreditation for the maximum six-year term of accreditation.
RCS has been accredited since 1982, its first year of eligibility for accreditation. Since then, RCS has received consecutive maximum six-year limits, this being our sixth!
RCS is the only fully accredited WASC K-12 school system (public, private, or parochial) in Castro Valley, Hayward, San Leandro, or San Lorenzo.
Accreditation is important for several reasons, including:
- University approval of school requirements
- Scholarship eligibility
- College/university acceptance
- Teacher qualifications
- Transfer of credit
- Provides opportunity for intentional parental/student input
The Visiting Accreditation Team commended:
- The administration and staff for their intentional communication of the school’s philosophy, vision, mission, and core values statements to all constituents and community in order to provide clarity of purpose and focused goals that result in unity of faith and a Christian academic climate.
- The members of the board of directors, superintendent, assistant superintendent, and campus principals, whose average tenure of service is 19.9 years, for their commitment and dedication to the ministry which has provided stable leadership, expertise in financial stewardship, and a consistent vision for the direction of Redwood Christian Schools.
- The staff and faculty for displaying a Christian testimony, resulting in clear examples of spiritual growth and fulfillment of the school’s mission statement.
See the full accreditation report here.